Rose
                                                           Fanfics                                                           
[Home]

Pictures

Summaries

Voices

Fanart

>Fanfics<

MultiMedia

Schedule

News

AW Interactive

About Me

Sign My Guestbook

View My Guestbook

Links

Home



 

Search and Destroy
By Kelly Barina

Author's note: Finally! It's been three long hard months on this story and it's finally done! Well, now on to the boring part. All Pokemon characters are not mine or else I'd be a millionaire and are trademarks of Warner Brothers Inc (except for Raquel; she's mine) and are used without permission. Now on with the story!


Jessica and myself, James of the illustrious Team Rocket, pressed our backs against the walls of the Viridian Pokemon Center in a weak attempt of staying out of trouble. I bit my lip nervously as we slid down the halls cautiously.

"Why are we here again, Jessie?" I asked my partner dumbly.

"Keep your voice down, James!" Jessie snapped. "We're here to swipe some rare pokemon for the Boss! This is only the about the 10th time I've told you! Now shut up!"

I curled my lips into a pout, but said nothing. I had learned the hard way when to be silent. We continued onward to our goal at the end of the hallway. Meowth stayed right at our heels, succeeding in staying out of sight, but failed tremendously at not getting under foot.

"Meowth, get out of my way! Ouch! Stop it!" Jessie growled.

"Watch it, Meowth! You almost made me fall!" I whined.

"Quit your complaining!" Meowth quipped. "You don't wanna wake da woikers, do ya?" We were immediately silenced. Once we reached the target, Jessie pushed me ahead roughly to make sure the coast was clear. As soon as I gave the signal, all of us moved in quietly.

"Search the place. I know they're here somewhere," Jessie whispered.

"And if they're not?" I questioned. Jessie whacked me in response to that stupid remark.

"They're here," she assured us. "I'm sure of it." We rummaged through the heap of garbage and after a thorough investigation, we found our objective- the pokeballs.

"Now we have them. Now let's get out of here before we get caught! I don't want to go to prison!" I complained.

"I don't tink they'll catch us! At least, I hope not!" Meowth replied. Jessie shoved all of the pokeballs into her knapsack. I gazed at her, dreamily. Were we meant to be? Is she my one true soulmate?

I still had mixed feelings about her. Through past trials and tribulations I had learned of our secret love for each other, but...was it really meant to be? Even after the incident with Raquel, she still seemed very distant to me. As though none of that ever happened. As if it meant nothing to her.

Meowth glanced at a control panel curiously hovering over the dials.

"Hmm...I wonder what dis button does..." He leaned in closer to the button, his paw directly hovering over it...

"Meowth, no!" I ordered. My sudden outburst startled him and he stumbled onto the button, causing a series of alarms to sound.

"Now look what you've done, you idiotic feline!" Jessie yelled.

"No time to argue! We gotta go!" Meowth cried as we gathered our stolen goods and rushed to the nearest exit. We could already hear the pounding of footsteps echoing behind us as we ran.

"Faster, Jessie! Faster!" I shrieked.

"I'm going as fast as I can! Besides I have a cramp in my left leg!" she responded.

"Well, we can't have everything!" We stumbled toward the front door, our gateway to freedom, but a gang of Officer Jennys blocked our path.

"Hold it right there, you criminals!" they shouted, guns raised. I gasped in horror as we all screeched to a halt. We reluctantly raised our hands into the air.

"This looks bad!" Meowth gasped.

"That's the way it always looks for Team Rocket," I groaned.

"Now hand over those stolen pokemon!"

"Certainly, officers," Jessie complied smoothly. She reached into her knapsack for the pokeballs...and any useful weapons she could find...

"Keep your hands where we can see them!" Jenny snapped, tightening her grip on the trigger.

"Of course, Officer Jenny, but then how will I deliver the pokeballs to you?" Jessie replied calmly. Jenny hesitated, then slightly lowered her gun.

Jessie pulled out the pokeballs, but what Officer Jenny didn't notice was that tiny smokebombs had been cleverly hidden amidst the pokemon.

"Here you are, Officer!" Jessie yelled as she threw the pokeballs in her direction. Once the smokebombs came in contact with the floor, smoke was sent in every direction, choking all present. While they were all distracted by the diversion, we disappeared into the mist.

"Come back here!" Jenny commanded as she pointed her gun into the smoke aimlessly.

"Sorry we couldn't stay for the party, Officer Jenny, but we really have to bolt! We'll have to take a raincheck on it," I cackled.

I released my faithful pokemon, Wheezing, and ordered him to smash open a window for our escape. Wheezing complied and we leaped outside. Home free at last.

After we had gotten a good distance between the Pokemon Center and us, we paused to catch our breath.

"It was your fault this time, James!" Jessie accused once she was able to breathe.

"My fault? How is everything my fault? It was your plan!" I protested.

"Yes, but you went along with it!"

"Youse two we're the ones who screwed up in dere!" Meowth defended.

"I suggest you stay out of this, Meowth! It was your fault the police came after us!" I pointed out.

"Was not!"

"Was too! You're the one who triggered the alarm!"

"Well, if you hadn't been daydreaming about Jess, we would've gotten outta dere faster!" I blushed slightly at the comment. "So it's all your fault!"

Everything was all James, James, James. Why couldn't somebody else share the blame for once? For the first time in my life, their hurtful words suddenly penetrated through my cheerful nature.

"Aren't you guys tired of dealing with failure? Of always losing out?" I sighed after a few moments of silence. Jessie glanced at me, surprised at my suddenly serious tone.

"Yeah...so?" I took a deep breath. Now I had to make the most difficult decision in my life- whether to leave the life I had known or not.

"I really didn't want to do this, but I've had enough. I can't cope anymore. Team Rocket has taken everything away from me...I'm tired of failure. I'm tired of defeat. I'm tired of Team Rocket." Jessie's face suddenly fell, all of what I had just said sinking in.

"You can't mean you're...."

"Yes, Jessie. I'm sorry, but I'm afraid you will be losing something as well, Jessica. Me."

* * * * * * *

"Uh, Boss? Sir? I'd like to speak with you for a moment...please," I queried timidly as I peered into his office. Documents were stacked neatly on top of the desk, with Giovanni seated in a nearby swivel chair, scowling at me. He seemed as though he was in one of his more pleasant moods so I decided to inform him of my decision.

"Boss," I began. " I know that this may be hard, especially since I've been a member for so long and...well, I've thought it over and..." I took one quick glance out the door back at my best friend, who was waiting patiently with Meowth outside. She would look in once in a while, only to turn away in anger. Or frustration. With Jessie I could never tell.

"James, I don't have time for your insignificant problems," Giovanni snapped as he took a sip from his glass of water. Not listening, I continued.

"...I need to leave Team Rocket." The glass slipped from Giovanni's hand, causing it to shatter upon hitting the ground. I suddenly wished I could reverse time and prevent myself from saying that right then. I took a step back and watched as Giovanni tensely placed a shaky, clenched fist upon the desk as though trying to control his rage.

"You're...what?" he demanded, daring me to repeat myself.

"I...I...I...," I stuttered. "...Boss, I just need to move on. I can't stay in Team Rocket forever and...I hope you'll understand, o' wise and esteemed Boss. By the way, that is a lovely tie you're wearing. It matches wonderfully with the bright red tomato sauce stain." I bit my lip nervously. "Boss?"

"I understand perfectly, James. That you are a traitor to Team Rocket." A traitor? What was he talking about? "Are you even aware of what happens to those who try to leave Team Rocket?"

"Uh,...no." Giovanni snapped his fingers and his henchmen apprehended me. My eyes frantically darted to Jessie in the doorway. My heart screamed out for her to help me, but she just pretended that she never saw me and glanced away.

"Jess, we gotta help him! Who knows what dey'll do ta him!" Meowth shouted.

"Why should we help him? He's deserting us, remember? He doesn't care so why should I care about him?" Jessie retorted.

"You know dat ain't true, Jess," Meowth stated. Jessie simply turned away. Why Jess? Why? Even though you know I love you, you still treat me so. Why?

The sudden ring of the telephone startled us all. Giovanni reached for it reluctantly. "Yes?"

"We found it, Boss," came the reply from the other end. His expression immediately changed from anger to shock in a matter of moments.

"What? You found it? Where? Where is it being delivered?"

"It's being shipped in a green pokeball to the Pokemon Lab in Pewter, but send an expendable member to retrieve it. The security will be very tight, as it is in any lab. The member may not return, but that's a chance you'll have to take."

"And I have the perfect member for the job..." Giovanni sent me a wry smile. Or sneer. It was difficult to decipher. "James, I will grant you your last request if you do a little favor for me."

"Favor?" I asked suspiciously. The Boss placed an arm around my shoulders slyly, trying to convince me to fall into his newly formed trap. At first I wanted nothing to do with it, but after I took one last look at Jessie, I decided to make the worst decision of my life-to go along with it. Anything to get myself out of this pit. What I didn't know was that I was digging myself a deeper ditch.

"James, I want you to retrieve a pokeball for me."

"A pokeball?"

"Yes, James. A pokeball. A very special pokeball. It is absolutely essential for my newest plan."

"Which is?"

"I shall fill you in on further details at a later date. For your own safety, of course."

"Of course," I repeated dryly.

"The green pokeball of which I speak is at the Pewter Laboratory. Do you think you can handle your last mission?"

"Yes, sir! You can count on me!"

"Then go and don't fail me." I raced out the door and crashed into Jess and Meowth.

"James, watch where you're goin'!" Jessie snapped as she shoved me aside.

"So what did he say?" Meowth asked.

"He sent me off to find some pokeball. But I may need...help." Jessie crossed her arms and cast a cruel glance at me.

"Don't look at us. We're not your friends, remember?" I frowned.

"I never said that, Jess. Don't put words into my mouth."

"Stop arguin'!" Meowth ordered as he clawed both of our faces. We yelped in pain.

"Meowth!" we cried.

"Why'd you do that?" I demanded.

"Because I don't like to hear youse two fight." A moment of silence passed between us as we just gazed at each other, reflecting on Meowth's statement.

Giovanni leaned back in his seat, hands folded across his stomach as he listened intently to our argument, pondering to himself of his decision.

After a few moments went by and our voices were out of earshot, he called into the intercom, "Bring in Cassidy and Butch."

Immediately after, the two loyal members obediently stepped in.

"You called, sir?" Butch questioned.

"Yes. I have a job for you two." They smirked at the response and grinned evilly at each other.

"And we are happy to oblige," Cassidy replied smugly.

* * * * * * *

Jess and I strolled silently side by side, the moonlight being our only light on the path. Meowth was able to keep up with our pace, being that we were moving so slowly. I was very uncomfortable with the absolute quiet, but what could I do? What could I say?

"Jess,...," I began. "Please say something."

"What is there to say, James?" Jessie muttered.

"Don't be like this. I can understand that I will be missed, but..."

"Missed? No, you won't be missed, James. I'm angry because you're leaving us like this! After all we've been through. You just choose to forget all of that! Whether you like it or not, James, we're a part of your life!"

"I'll miss you too, Jessica." Jessie stared in shock at me with her jaw hanging down for a moment, but then she regained her composure.

"Let's just get this done and over with." I frowned, but said nothing. Was I making the wrong decision? I mean, Jessie did have a point- we had been through a lot. But I couldn't continue with this just for her, could I? If she wasn't willing to tell me she needed me, then I saw no purpose in staying.

"James, what did da Boss say when you told him dat you was leavin'?" Meowth queried.

"That my last mission would be to retrieve that green pokeball I told you about from the Pewter City Laboratory and then he'd grant my request. Why?"

"A Lab? The security's gonna be tough to get by!"

"Well, we have to try."

"Yeah. The sooner we get that pokeball, the sooner James can get on with his life." She shot me a icy cold glare. I'm sorry, Jess. If only....if only I didn't have to leave you, but I'm afraid I must. Only you can stop me, Jess. I need a real reason to stay.

"I tink we'd better stop, Jess," Meowth suggested nervously.

"Why? Don't tell me you're scared of the dark, Meowth," Jessie smirked.

"No! I just got a bad feelin' about dis..." Jessie sighed deeply then unrolled her sleeping bag onto the cool grass reluctantly.

"Fine." She crawled into it and snuggled against its warm covers as I pulled out mine. I burrowed inside my bag as Meowth nuzzled against me. "Good night...."

"Good night, guys," I yawned. I listened intently to the soft, slow breathing of my teammates as they both drifted off to sleep leaving me stranded with my thoughts.

Suddenly, I heard movement among the bushes as if someone was following us...voices were echoing all around me...eyes were staring at me through the darkness...lurking in every direction, waiting...waiting...waiting...

"Jess!" I cried.

"What?!" she snapped.

"Someone's out there, Jess," I muttered.

"James, nobody is out there. Now can you please get off." Just then I realized I was strangling Jessie with my tight grip. I released her slowly, my heart still racing.

"What if there is? What'll we do?"

"There is nobody out here so will you just...." A twig snapped in a nearby thicket and some curses could be heard from inside.

"Did you hear that?"

"Hear what?" she sighed.

"That...noise?"

"James, there is nothing! Go to sleep!" Maybe Jessie's right, I reasoned as I crawled beneath the covers. Of course there was no one out there. Who would follow us? I mean, we were only after a special pokeball...special pokeball...hmm...I wonder what's so great about that pokeball. Why does the Boss want it so badly? Oh well. I'll figure it out soon enough. Meanwhile, I have to work with the problem at hand. The stranger in the woods...

"James...," a voice called from the forest. "James...." I pulled the covers over my head in fear. If I made it through the night...

Jessie gazed at me from her sleeping bag, hiding in fright. She smiled at my innocence and child-like demeanor then once she made sure I was asleep, she planted a kiss on my forehead lovingly, whispering, "Good night."

I felt Jessie's warm lips touch me, though she believed I had fallen into a restless slumber. And though I knew that she had done it out of pity, not love, as I had hoped, I felt comforted by her and was able to fall into a peaceful, relaxed sleep at last.

* * * * * * * *

"James, get up," Jessie hissed. "If we're gonna do this job, we have to get to Pewter first!"

"Huh?" I grumbled as I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes. Jess lightly kicked my leg.

"Wake up," she ordered. " I need my breakfast!"

"You have hands. Use them." Anger filled her as she yanked my sleeping bag away.

"Now," she growled dangerously.

"Y-yes, ma'am!" I immediately got to my feet and began searching through my bag for our meal. Don't mess with Jessie when it comes to food.

"Mmm! This food tastes so good, Brock!" a voice complemented from the woods. Could it be...?

"Yeah! I just love your pancakes!" another called. It sounded an awful lot like...

"Well, what can I say? I'm a great cook!" a third voice replied. It was the twerp trio! With breakfast...

"Jessie, do you like pancakes?" I asked grinning. Ash, Misty and Brock chewed hungrily on the freshly made pancakes.

"You have to make these more often, Brock!" Ash suggested.

"Well, one thing's for sure-I wouldn't have any leftovers!"

"Prepare for trouble!" Jessie began.

"And make it double!" I added.

"Oh no! It's Team Rocket!" Misty cried.

"To protect the world from devastation!"

"To unite all peoples within our nation!"

"To denounce the evils of truth and love!"

"To extend our reach to the stars above!"

"Jessie!"

"James!"

"Team Rocket blasts off at the speed of light!'

"Surrender now or prepare to fight!"

"Meowth! That's right!" Meowth concluded.

"What do you want now, Team Rocket? You're not getting my Pikachu so don't even try!" Ash yelled.

"Oh, please. We didn't come here for that," Jessie sighed.

"Yes. We have a much more important job to attend to," I informed.

"Oh yeah? Like what?" Ash demanded.

"Breakfast first of all." We all jumped savagely onto the stack of pancakes.

"Hey! Those are mine!" Ash threw himself onto top of us as we struggled to steal the food away. "Cyndaquil, stop Team Rocket from stealing my breakfast!"

We held up our prizes and were scorched by the flames of Ash's pokemon.

"We're blasting off again!" we cried as we were hurled into the air. Ash joyfully caught the plate of slightly burned pancakes.

"Hmm...another more important job for Team Rocket? It doesn't make sense," Brock reasoned.

"What doesn't make sense, Brock?" Misty questioned.

"Why would their Boss give them a more important job if they couldn't handle this one?"

"I don't know, Brock."

"There's something fishy going on and I don't like it. Not one bit. I may be wrong, but I think Team Rocket's in danger."

"But why are you worried, Brock? It's just Team Rocket."

"Because their downfall may be ours too."

* * * * * * *

"Aaaah!" we shrieked as we flew through the air and landed with a thump on the hard ground.

"Well, dere went breakfast," Meowth observed.

"Now what?" I queried.

"We get your pokeball," Jess answered, nodding toward the Lab before us.

"All right! Let's go!" Jessie held me back before I was able to dash off.

"Don't be stupid! This is a delicate mission, which needs to be treated with caution. We have to be ready before we go in. Now let's go get or supplies."

"Can we pick up some donuts too?" She slapped me in response.

* * * * * * * *

Darkness fell over the quiet city of Pewter as we expertly evaded the lenses of the security cameras adorning the Pewter Lab. The musty building before us was shrouded in obscurity and foreboding. Somebody should definitely call a redecorator. It looked completely horrendous! Unless the old, run-down look was in nowadays.

"Binoculars?" Jessie asked as she 'x'Ed off items on a list.

"Check," I answered.

"Rope?"

"Check."

"Smoke bombs?"

"I was supposed to bring them?" Jessie glared in my direction. I grinned in response. "Just kidding." She turned away so I wouldn't notice her smiling. No luck.

"A glass cutter?"

"Check."

"Donuts?" Jess raised her eyebrows at the question.

"Check," I muttered through a mouth full of donuts. She rolled her eyes as we started on our journey to the heart of the Lab.

"Meowth," Jessie nodded toward the door, which had an alarm built inside. Meowth calmly opened a tiny hatch, filled with multi colored wires. Meowth stuck his claws inside and snapped them all.

"And dat's how it's done," he smiled proudly. Once we were sure the alarms had been turned off, Meowth picked the lock of the door and we crept into the Lab. Even though we tried our best in keeping quiet as we tip toed down the hall, our footsteps still echoed across the narrow pathway.

"Stop!" Jessie hissed as she blocked my path. She pointed at the space in front of us, suspecting the worst. She pulled out a aerosol can, shook it a few times, and then sprayed the area before us. Red lasers shot across the room, ready to trigger the siren.

"Meowth,...," I whispered.

"Gotcha covered," Meowth grinned, holding up his sharp claws. He pried open a little latch nearby and ripped all of the circuits. But the alarm was still activated for some strange reason. However, the lights were not.

"You stupid feline! Now look what you've done!" Jessie screamed.

"Jess, will you keep it down? You do want to make it out of here, don't you?" I whispered as I pulled out a flashlight. It flicked on, lighting our way. "Hmm...there must be some way to short-circuit this alarm..."

Suddenly, I spotted the fuse box. I reached into my pocket and pulled out tiny marble smoke bombs. After aiming with accurate precision, I flung them toward the fuse box, destroying the alarm system.

"Hurry, Jess! We have to find it," I ordered. We rushed down the hall quickly, barely gazing into each room to make sure our objective wasn't amidst the experiments. Abruptly, I came to a halt before an unrestricted area, causing a chain reaction of crashing behind me.

"James, what's the big idea?" Jessie snapped. I merely pointed forward. In the center of the room was the green pokeball inside a large glass enclosure. "Finally." Jessie ambled into the room. I extended my hand and seized her wrist, holding her firmly.

She glared at me in anger for my reaction and I just smiled and responded, "This is a delicate mission that must be treated with caution. We have to be prepared before we go in." I held up the glasscutter deviously.

As we closed in on the target, we each got our weapons ready-my glasscutter, Meowth's nails, and Jessie's house keys. Each of us took a corner and began slicing glass. Before the glass could hit the ground and shatter, I caught it in mid-air and took prize-the pokeball.

"Let's go!" Meowth cried with glee. Jessie simply frowned. Why was she upset? We had finally managed to steal something and yet she was so unhappy. Why? Was it my fault? Was she upset because of me?

Fate found us racing down the halls to the nearest exit. For, as we turned a sharp corner, who else do we bump into, but none other than Raquel!

"Raquel!" I gasped.

"James?" she queried in shock.

"Wh-what are you doing here? I thought you had disappeared!"

"I quit Team Rocket and got a job here working the night shift. The hours aren't too bad; I just got out now. But what are you doing here? I thought you'd still be chasing after that Boss of yours. He didn't even notice or care that I was gone!"

"I'm afraid I still am. But this is my last mission. He's letting me go!" Jessie snorted at the sentence.

"That's great! Maybe you can work with me! They give good pay! Come on, James! Do it for me!" I bit my lip. Raquel will always stay the same.

"I don't know. Maybe." I peered at Jessie out of the corner of my eye, whose frown became deeper. Unless she objected, I would be left with no other choice. You don't want that for me, do you, Jess?

The sound of police sirens finally reached our ears and we panicked in fright.

"Enough with this friendly chit-chat! We have to go! Now!" Jessie yelled.

"But how will we get out?" I asked. Jessie, Meowth and I glanced at each other in fright. Raquel pondered thoughtfully to herself then opened her mouth to speak once again.

"This way," she motioned for us to follow her. Reluctant, but unwilling to give in to the cops, we heeded her command. "Only the workers can come out this way," she nodded toward the exit and held up her key. "With the right disguise this might work..."

"Right disguise?" I didn't like the sound of it one bit. She closed in on me, an evil gleam in her eye and everything went black.

* * * * * * *

"Raquel!!!" I shrieked. "I refuse to go out like this!"

"Would you rather go to prison?" Raquel questioned, struggling not to laugh.

"Yeah, James! Besides, it's not like you haven't done dis before!" Meowth giggled.

"I don't see what's so funny. Why do I have to be a girl!"

"Because I said so, that's why!" Raquel snapped. "Is that reason enough?"

"I suppose," I sighed.

"Good," she smiled cheerfully. "Now let's go!"

"Well, at least with my new job, cross-dressing won't be a requirement!" I hissed to Jessie, smirking playfully. "But it may be a plus." She calmly bopped me on the head, while stifling a giggle.

The four of us exited out of the Lab, each dressed in a different get up-Meowth with a white lab coat on and a matching baseball cap, which shielded his face from the police; Jessie with the same uniform as Raquel, but with her hair in a bun; And me as an overweight middle-aged woman.

"Hey! What are you doing?" Officer Jenny screamed out at us.

"Just getting out of work, officer! The late shift can be so hard sometimes!" Raquel replied. "Don't you agree, ladies?"

"Yes! Just ever so tough!" I agreed, giggling in a feminine tone. Officer Jenny frowned as she commanded her men to lower their firearms.

"Thank you, Officer Jenny!" Jessie acknowledged gratefully.

"Come on, men! They still might be inside!" Jenny barked. As Jenny and the others retreated, she took a closer look at me.

"Do I know you form somewhere?" she interrogated distrustfully.

"No! Where did you get that silly idea from?" I giggled nervously.

"You look...familiar."

"Familiar? To whom? That amazingly handsome member from Team Rocket? Of course not! I get that a lot." Jenny looked me over in suspicion, but said nothing.

"Officer Jenny! Please hurry!" another policeman called. Jenny took one last glance at me then took off after her partner. Relief flooded through me as Jenny ran out of sight.

"It amazes me how incredibly stupid you are, James!" Jessie grumbled. "If it wasn't for me, you would've been in jail for years by now!"

"Would not!"

"Would too!"

"Would not!"

"Would too!"

"Would not!!"

"Would too!!"

"Would not!!!"

"Guys, will youse just shaddup! We still gotta get dis back to da Boss and I don't wanna get nobodies attention!" Meowth yelled.

"I afraid that's no longer a concern of yours, Meowth!" a voice called.

"Who are you? Come out now!" Meowth demanded. Two figures slipped out from the shadows.

"Prepare for trouble!"

"Make it Double!" her partner added.

"Cassidy?" Jessie gasped.

"Butch?" my mouth hung open.

"That's right!" they acknowledged in unison.

"What are you two misfits doing here?" Jessie snapped.

"Well, unlike the three of you, the Boss trusts us. So he sent us after you to make sure you did your job," Cassidy explained.

"And we did! We don't need your help!" I retorted.

"You accomplished your part of the mission so now hand over the pokeball!" Butch yelled.

"So you can get the credit? No way!"

"I don't think you understand. The Boss never wanted you to return, James.

"What?" What was Butch getting at? Why did the Boss not want me to come back?

"You were never supposed to succeed. You served as a distraction so that we could retrieve the pokeball. An expendable member."

"Expendable...that can't be true! What reason would he have to get rid of me?"

"Ask Meowth," Cassidy responded slyly.

"James," Meowth began. He took a deep breath. "I'm sorry. I should've told you earlier. I just didn't want to get you worried, James.

"I remember dere was dis one member da Boss paired me up wit before youse two came around. Nice kid...a real winner. But one day he up and decided he didn't want to be in Team Rocket and he went inside da office ta see da Boss. Me, I decided to hang around outside. Well,...uh..." Meowth scratched the back of his head nervously. "...he never came out."

"You mean the Boss...?"

"Yeah. He did. I was gonna tell you later, but I was scared, James. I tought dat maybe since da Boss had let you out of da office, he'd let you go easy."

"I don't believe you didn't tell me. If you really cared, I deserved to at least get a warning...a clue...something!"'

"I couldn't bring myself to tell you, James. I'm sorry."

"Now if you don't mind, I'd like you to hand over the pokeball," Cassidy replied.

"No! Not until I figure out what's really going on! If I can't even trust my friends, I'll have to do this on my own!" I dashed off, away from my so-called friends.

"James!" Raquel shouted.

"Wait!" Meowth yelled. Jessie just stared at me running away in shock. Then she too screamed after me.

"Come back here, James! You can't just leave! James!" she cried. But not even Jessie could stop me this time.

* * * * * * *

I couldn't believe they did this to me. I thought they were my friends. Now I was caught in the trap the Boss set. They knew this would happen...so why didn't they warn me? Maybe there would've been some way to stop it from happening. Now I was a fugitive and it was all their fault. I could never forgive them for this! Never!!!

I hurried inside Team Rocket Headquarters, my last resort. Maybe there I would find the answer I was looking for. The door to Giovanni's office flung open and I stood in the doorway.

"Boss! We need to talk!" I demanded. Giovanni glared menacingly in my direction. "Er...if you're free of course."

"Yes? What is it?" he growled.

"Look, I did what you asked so here's the pokeball." I hurled the green pokeball in his direction. He caught it with ease and opened the lock. Instead of there being a pokemon, it was a microchip. Strange...

"Your usefulness has ended."

"Come again?"

"I have no further use of you. But I will be...fair and give you a chance to run while you can."

"What?"

"You didn't think I would actually get off that easily, James? All I needed you for was to get this microchip. And with it, I alone will rule." He pressed a button on the intercom and requested his henchmen to dipose of me.

"Y-you th-think you can catch m-me? Ha! Your members won't be f-fast enough!" I stuttered.

"Well, if my men don't get to you first the police will. Either way, James, you can't win."

"I...can't...," I gasped. I advanced toward the door tentatively, Giovanni grinning at me in triumph.

"Yes, James. Run. Run like the coward you are." After taking one last glance at him, I took off out the door to the outside all alone. My footsteps echoed down the hall along with my hard breathing. I could feel my heart beating almost as loudly as my footsteps.

Then I heard the beating of steps behind me, keeping up with my stride. They were following me! I picked up my pace in an attempt to escape my pursuers, but once I sped up, they did as well.

I darted farthest away from Team Rocket Headquarters only to bump into my former friends, Jessie and Meowth.

"Let go, Jess! Lemme go! They're coming for me! Just get off!" I shoved her aside. Instead of seeing what I expected-an angry glare-, I got a concerned look.

"What did you find out? That we were right?" Jessie asked.

"Why do you care?"

"Because I'm your friend."

"If you were my friend, you would've warned me! But I got nothing! Nothing at all, Jess! Do you know what it's like to be left hanging? Not knowing if you could even trust your allies?"

After a few moments of silence, she muttered silently, "Yes, James. Because you've done it to me."

I stood there in a stunned shock, unable to yell back.

"When you and Meowth ditched me for that little...that little..."

"Jess, I...I'm...I'm sorry."

"No, you're not!" she cried out, tears stinging her eyes. I had never seen her this...emotional before. At least not in front of me. I wished right then that I could recall those hurtful words I had flung at her just then, but there was no way to repair the damage now.

"You have no idea the pain you put me through...the hurt...oh, what does it matter. It's over."

"Jess, please...our relationship has been hurt enough...I'm sorry."

"Look, there he is!" a Team Rocket member yelled, pointing in my direction.

"Meowth! We gotta get outta here before dey catch us!" Meowth suggested franticly.

"I have to leave! Now!" I shouted. Before I ran, I paused, peering back at them. "Jess, Meowth, I won't be able to do this on my own. I hope you can forgive me, but please. Just do this one last thing for me, Jessica." She remained silent, pondering her answer carefully. "Please."

"James, that used to work for me before, but now...I just don't want to get hurt again, James."

"But, Jess...I can't do this without you."

"You never could, James. And I think it's time you did. Besides, I have a job to do. Now whether you want to do that or not, I want to keep it for a few more years. I like Team Rocket and..."

"Meowth...?" I begged. Meowth backed away, shrugging his shoulders.

"James, I'm sorry, but...I like my job at Team Rocket...I don't really have anywhere else ta go and Jess needs me..."

"I need you, Meowth."

"But...I...I'm sorry, Jimmy." I forced myself to hide my sorrow and I nodded, backing apart from them. Without uttering even a single word, I disappeared among the bushes.

"James," Jessie shook her head sadly.

"We had to let him go, Jess. Dere was nothin' we could do," Meowth consoled.

"I guess."

I couldn't believe they would leave me like this. I thought we were friends, but I guess I had been mistaken all these years. Maybe it was best that we part...or was it? Well, there was no turning back now. It was over. Now I just had to worry about getting out of this predicament alive. And alone.

* * * * * * *

'To denounce the evils of truth and love!'

'To extend our reach to the stars above!'

'Jessie!'

'James!' I went through the Team Rocket motto over and over in my head. Never again would I recite that with my friends.

'Team Rocket blasts off at the speed of light!'

'Surrender now or prepare to fight!'

'Meowth! Dat's right!' My speed started to lessen so I just leaned against a tree and I let my feelings go. I couldn't keep them inside, hidden beneath my cheery exterior. I couldn't. One lonely teardrop slipped off of my face and down to the ground. Everything I had ever known...gone forever.

I was such a fool. No chance of repentance now..., but how I wish I could. Why was I born James? I angrily punched at the oak I used for support. WHY??? I again punched at it then crumpled to my knees wearily. This time as I sat beneath the branches of the oak, I let my tears flow down freely.

"Look! Get him!" the members yelled, running in my direction. I quickly got to my feet, wiping my face of its emotion, then taking off. I had to continue running. This was my life now. The life of a fugitive.

Lost in my thoughts, I ran into a dark and shadowy figure. Maybe it was the police out to get me.

"James! What are you doing here?" a voice demanded.

"You're not taking me without a fight!" I shouted as I leaped onto the stranger, tackling him furiously.

"Hey! Get off of me, James! It's only me!"

"Who? Officer Jenny?"

"James, stop!" a female cried, holding my arm back. I looked up into her face. It was Misty! And the stranger was Brock!

"Misty? Brock?" I uttered.

"Yeah. Now can you get off?" Brock asked. I sheepishly climbed off.

"Now what happened?" Ash questioned.

"This is a matter for an adult, not children."

"But we can help you, James."

"I don't need your help! I can do this on my own! Just stay out of this or you may find yourself dead," I warned grimly.

"James, whether or not we get involved, we are all in danger," Brock responded.

"How's that?"

"Well, think about it, James," Misty began. "Why did your Boss send two teams to get the same pokeball? Because it's obviously hard to get and very valuable. Did you happen to see what was inside?"

"I think it was a microchip."

"A microchip? That could've had anything on it! This could be really bad if we don't do something about it soon!"

"Look, I can do this on my own! I don't...!"

"James, surrender to us quietly and you may survive this!" Butch called, pointing at gun at me threateningly. Then he smirked. "Just kidding!"

Butch and Cassidy began firing madly at us. I threw myself unto the ground, dodging the rapidly moving bullets.

"Get down!" Ash cried as he pinned Misty on the floor beside me. Brock hid silently behind the trunk of a tree. Misty shut her eyes and buried her head into Ash's shoulder, sobbing gently.

"This has to stop!" Ash stated as he pulled out a pokeball. Before he had a chance to call out his pokemon, Cassidy shot the ball out of his hand. Ash winced as the pokeball slipped away from him.

"So now you've gone from Jessie and Meowth to little kids. You can't get much lower than that, James," Butch cackled. Ash growled under his breath in rebellion.

"What do you think you'll accomplish by killing us?" Ash demanded.

"You? Don't flatter yourself, kid. We're only here for James. But while we're at it, we might as well dispose of two whiney brats in the process," Cassidy grinned.

"Now how bout' this proposition, James," Butch started.

"We'll have you watch you're little friends get shot, then we get rid of you as well."

"Ladies first," Butch replied as he lifted Misty off the ground, pointing the rifle at her. Ash motioned for Misty frantically, but Cassidy shoved him back with her gun.

"Back off, kid!" she snapped.

"What right do you have to do this?" Ash retorted. Cassidy clunked Ash on the head with the barrel of her gun and Ash collapsed onto the ground unconscious.

"Ash!" Misty gasped.

"The boy's right, Cassidy! You have no reason to do this. Besides, what will it show? That you've murdered defenseless children?

That's something to be proud of," I smirked.

"Just for that remark you die first!" Cassidy growled, aiming at me. The bullet zoomed out from the barrel and grazed my arm. I fell to my knees clutching my wound in pain. The world around me began to grow dim, as I stood shrouded in my enemies' shadows.

"This job was easier than I thought it would be," Butch grinned.

"Go, Onix!" Brock commanded as he called out his massive rock pokemon from his hiding place.

"Let's get out of here!" Butch suggested.

"No! We could battle it!" Cassidy snapped.

"Our pokemon won't be able to beat that!" Onix roared in agreement.

"You're right! Let's go!" Cassidy and Butch retreated in fear.

"Is he all right?" Brock interrogated.

"I don't think so," Misty responded. "James! James! You have to stay awake!"

"I'll try," I muttered, weakly smiling.

"We have to get him somewhere! Fast!" Misty cried frantic with worry.

"Hold on, James! We'll help you!" Ash yelled, lifting me up on one side as Brock picked me up on the other.

"Thank...you...," I muttered and my eyes began to shut wearily.

"James, you have to hold on! Don't go! Stay awake! James! James!" Misty screamed into my ear. I'm sorry, Misty. I...can't. Suddenly, I felt everything black out.

* * * * * * *

"James...James...James...," a distant voice called. Jessie? Was it her? Or was it all a dream?

"James...come back...danger..."

Jessie? Danger? How? Who?

"Boss...hurry...special mission...danger..."

Jessie! Where are you? Answer me!

"I need you. James...come back...," her voice started to fade off.

No! Don't leave!

"Come back..."

"James..." another person called.

"Jessie?" I asked dizzily, opening my eyes.

"No. It's me, Raquel," she corrected.

"Raquel? Where am I?"

"Here with me in the lab. You've been out for a few days now." I peered over at my injury, which had been wrapped up tightly.

"The bullet...?"

"It's all taken care of. It didn't go in deep so I was able to get it out without much trouble."

"How did you...?"

"My medical training in college paid off." She smiled.

"Raquel..." She put a finger gently to my lips.

"Shh," she whispered softly. "Don't speak. Just rest. I'll get you a drink, okay?" I nodded slowly then laid back on my pillow. She left, leaving me and Misty alone in the room.

"James?" she murmured.

"Hmm?" I muttered.

"I'm sorry."

"For...what?"

"I'm just sorry."

"It's not your fault. I brought this upon myself. It's my fault."

"How?"

"I should've never left Jessie in the first place. Now she's in danger...and there's nothing I can do about it."

"Danger? How do you know?"

"I just...know."

"Don't worry, James. We'll stop Giovanni and save Jessie for you." She squeezed my hand encouragingly. Ash peered inside the room at us jealously.

"Humph! Look at Misty in there. You'd think she really likes him," Ash pouted.

"She just wants him to get better. She feels bad so she wants to help him get through this as best as she can," Brock explained.

"Yeah, well, I still don't like it. He's a Rocket, remember? He might try something. Maybe I should..." Ash walked purposefully toward the door.

"Ash, no! Leave them. James is not a Rocket anymore and besides, he's too weak to try anything if he wanted to. I can understand if you're jealous..."

"Jealous? Me?"

"...but Misty will be fine, Ash. Trust me." Ash frowned then again spied on us from outside. Raquel strolled back toward me with the full glass in hand.

"Here, James," she passed me the cup. I sipped it slowly and gratefully.

"Thank you," I replied.

"I'm just grateful you made it, James. I was so worried..."

"It's...," I began, but my words were drowned out by her lips pressing against mine. Raquel...how could I betray Jessie like this? Though she was gone, I still felt guilty. I tried to push her away, but at that moment, all of my strength fled from me and Raquel had me defenseless. When she finally pulled out of the kiss, she smiled and sat down at the edge of my bed.

"Raquel, I think...," I begin to say, touching my lips, blushing.

"Say no more," she replied, backing away. "I'll save it for later." She winked at me flirtatiously and walked outside.

"I don't think I was supposed to see that," Misty responded, blushing slightly.

"Misty! I thought you...," I gasped, suddenly blushing as well. We uncomfortably giggled at the past events. Ash frowned, still spying on us.

"Brock, look! They're laughing...and blushing! This isn't good! I stood around long enough! I'll..."

"No, Ash!" Brock ordered. Ash ignored his friend's warnings and barged into our conversation.

"I'm on to you, James! You think you have us fooled? I know you're still working for Team Rocket! This is just another of your sick schemes to get us to fall

into your trap!" I remained silent for a moment. Then I smirked in defiance.

"You think you know what it is to be conned, little boy? How would you feel being conned into a criminal? And when you finally resolve to get yourself out of that ditch, you find yourself in another?" I raised myself off of the bed, towering over the little 15-year-old midget, which stood before me. Ash shrunk back in fear, but tried to keep a brave glare upon me.

"Look at me now, Ash. I was all part of Giovanni's con, his trap. And it all worked out good for him, being the gullible, ignorant person I am. I don't have the time or strength to set a trap for you when I'm in one myself. Next time, Ash, don't judge me by who I was, but who I am. But you don't look hard enough to see that, do you?"

I shook my head and stormed out of the room in anger. Ash gaped in shock for a few seconds until Misty hit him aside.

"Way to go, Ash," she grumbled sourly. "James, wait!" she cried after me, following me outside.

"Don't say it, Brock," Ash muttered under his breath.

"I told you so," Brock shook his head.

"Shut up."

I stalked away from the Lab, wound aching and Misty chasing close behind.

"James, stop!" she commanded. "You shouldn't be out here!"

"I shouldn't be in there either! I don't belong anywhere. Just leave me alone. Jessie was right. I...I'm a fool."

"No, James. We're da fools. If dere's any mistake we made, James, it was not comin' wit' you," a familiar person cut in. Or pokemon....

"Meowth?!" I wondered out loud.

"In...da fur...," Meowth trailed off and collapsed at my feet.

"Meowth? What happened? Meowth? Meowth!!!" I yelled.

* * * * * * * *

Meowth laid on my bed in the Laboratory, eyes tightly shut, a wince escaping his lips every few minutes or so. It pained me to see Meowth so helpless. But there was nothing I could do.

"Can't you do anything for him?" I pleaded Raquel.

"I've already wrapped up his gunshot wound and taken out the bullet. He has to do the rest on his own. I've done all I can," she apologized.

"Who did this to you, Meowth?" I asked gently, leaning over the defenseless body of my old friend.

"Da Boss...," Meowth whispered.

"W-what?"

"...da...Boss..." Meowth clenched his teeth from the pain then sank his head back into his pillow. What reason would he have to hurt Meowth? He did nothing! And what about Jessie? Was she all right? Then I struck me. It was my fault once again. I brought this on my friends. My face fell at that horrible realization.

"No, Jimmy. It ain't...your fault," Meowth replied as if he knew my thoughts. "It was ours...dis time. I'm...sorry."

"Let's let him rest," Raquel suggested to Misty as they silently retreated toward the door. "If you need me, James, I'll be in the hallway." She lightly planted a kiss on my cheek smiling, then accompanied Misty in the hall.

"James,...why?" Meowth simply asked.

"Why what?"

"Just...why? How could you betray Jess like dat? Do you have any...idea of what she's been doin ta try to get back ta ya again?"

"She doesn't care."

"You really don't pay attention, do you? After you left, she realized...she misses you and she's been trying every night to break out of...Team Rocket Headquarters just ta see you. But da Boss doesn't want anybody leavin on account of he's trying to...to build a...top-secret weapon. I managed to get out, but wit a bullet in my leg. Now do you...believe me?"

"I refuse to believe you unless Jessie tells me." I had to hear it from her to know it was true. She had said it once. She could do it again.

"But still...why did you betray her? I though you loved her."

"I did...I do, but...if she's not willing to show me that, them why should I bother? I can't wait around for her. My life has gone by and I'm still in the same place."

"She's...afraid, James. She's afraid to say something. You have to make the first move. And you'd better do it fast before she's...she's..."

"She's what?"

"..she's...dead. Da Boss has her...in his office so he can keep an eye on her. You have to help her, James."

"No! She got herself into this mess; she can get herself out!"

"If you don't get her out,...he'll shoot her, James...please..." I pondered on the situation momentarily. Jessie...in trouble? There hadn't been any situation until now that she hadn't been able to handle. She must be in real danger. In danger of death...no. She left me. To go crawling back like an insecure fool...never. After leaving me to get caught by the police...no. I'll never lower myself to that again.

"No, you're staying here!" Raquel snapped. She clutched my arm possessively. "Jessie didn't want him! He wants me! He can't go back to her! He promised me he'd never leave me!"

"Yeah!" I agreed. Then I reflected on what I had just said. "I did?"

"Yes, you did!"

"But, James, you're not gonna just let her go, are you? You've been together all this time...doesn't that mean a thing?" Misty demanded. "Take me and Ash: we always fight, but that doesn't mean we stop being friends! If you really treasure someone's friendship, you won't let them go for anything!"

"You really care that much, Misty?" Ash interrogated skeptically.

"Oh, don't get all sentimental on me, Ash. I've been with you for years. I can't help liking you..." She covered her mouth in shock. "I didn't mean it like that!"

Ash blushed a crimson red along with Misty.

"I hate ta admit it, but da twerps are right, James," Meowth agreed.

"No! I refuse to lower myself to...to...that! You can go if you want to, but... but...," I paused. Could I? Even Jessie didn't deserve this punishment...what was I saying? "...no! I will never turn back!" I turned away from all present in the room. Suddenly a shot of pain stung my arm and I clutched it in anguish.

"James, whether you go or not, we are. Team Rocket has to be stopped before they become unbeatable. So we're asking you one last time...," Misty started.

"...Will you come with us?" Brock finished.

"Not in a million years," I replied coldly.

"Fine then, James. If you want it that way..."

"James, you may not realize this now, but you're making a terrible mistake," Misty shook her head sadly as the three of them left the room, leaving me, Raquel, and Meowth alone.

"I guess friends don't mean anything to you anymore, James," Meowth responded.

"That's because I don't have any," I muttered dryly. To my cold remark, Meowth just stared at me; then he was silent. And it stayed that way.

* * * * * * *

Raquel cuddled up against me later that night. I lay on the bed beside Meowth and Raquel was sitting in a chair that was propped up against the bed, but in her exhaustion she had fallen over and landed on my pillow.

I glanced over at Meowth, who had not spoken a word to me ever since I had refused to go after my partner. He didn't seem angry with me he was more...disappointed. I don't know why he worried so about us. He never did before.

And why had Jessie let the Boss capture her so easily? Why if I had been there I would've...I wouldn't...I sighed deeply. Well, it didn't matter how she had gotten into it, but how to get her out. I hope with all my heart that the twerps will get her out safely.

As the sun rose over the horizon, I just lay on my back staring outside. Jessie always loved to watch the sun rising...every morning she would wake up at the break of dawn to see the sun peeking out to greet her.

Sometimes I would follow her and she'd explain how she and her mother used to do that. I smiled at the memory. Our precious moments of fellowship before another day of failure.

My eyelids began to close slowly and I fell into a restless sleep.

* * * * * *

Jessie?

"Don't back talk to me!" Giovanni shrieked at the helpless Team Rocket member and then slapped her aside with one blow. She lay in a heap like an old rag doll. "You must have respect for your master!"

"Why should I respect you? Just because you belong to Team Rocket? Well, if there's one thing I've learned is that you can't hide behind Team Rocket all your life! You need to move on! This," she motioned around the room to illustrate. "doesn't mean a thing!"

Who was this brave girl to defy Team Rocket? I noticed many scars on her body as if he had beaten the poor girl. Who was she?

"You're trying my patience. Just as James did. You don't want James' fate, do you, Jessie?" I couldn't believe it! It was Jessie!

"As long as it gets me away from you." Suddenly, Giovanni struck her and she fell once again down on the floor.

"Jess!" I screamed. I sat up in fright and glanced around. I was back in the Lab once again.

"Don't move!" a gang of Officer Jenny's barged into the lab noisily. We all sat up in a panic and searched for an exit frantically. I clutched Raquel tightly against myself and she laid her head on my chest. I glanced frantically for a way out. Then I spotted the open window nearby.

Moving quickly, I took Meowth with my free hand and dragged Raquel toward the outside. Although my arm was aching in agony from the bullet wound, I found the strength to help my friends get away.

"They're outside! Let's go!" the Jenny's cried.

"We have to leave...now...before they come," I muttered as I crumpled onto my knees in pain.

"James, you're in no condition to do this. I'll bring you to my place where you can..."

"No, Raquel,...I can't. I know where I have to go. Something terrible's happening to Jess...and it's my fault. I have to get her out...somehow."

"James, Everyting ain't your fault. We mighta blamed everyting you, but dat didn't mean we were right," Meowth corrected.

"Well, no matter who's fault it is, I can't let all these years of friendship go. I have to save her...us... somehow."

"No, you won't!" Raquel yelled as she clunked me over the head with her purse. I fell unconscious into her open arms.

"Hey! What do ya tink you're doin?" Meowth snapped. She pulled out a spray can, and after covering her own mouth, she proceeded to spray Meowth. Meowth collapsed onto the floor and she smirked in triumph.

"You're mine now, James. I'll make sure that you'll never see your precious Jessie ever again."

* * * * * *

"James...James...," a voice repeated over and over.

Jessie? I'm coming for you! I'm on my way! You don't have to worry!

"Danger, James...Danger...hurry..."

Jessie, no! Don't leave me!

"James...James...James..."

"Jessie..." I whispered.

"No, Raquel," Raquel corrected lovingly. I suddenly got to my feet.

"Where's Meowth?"

"Meowth? I don't..."

"Answer me!" I ordered. Raquel shoved me back onto the bed.

"He'll be safe as long as you never leave!"

"If you hurt him, I swear I'll..."

"What can you do?" she mocked. "With that injured arm, you can't do a thing!" I glowered at her in defiance. "Now, James, just forget about Meowth and Jessie. You're with me now. Tell me what's bothering you." She smiled as she leaned against me flirtatiously.

"You are! What is your problem? I tell you 'no' and you refuse to listen!" I shouted shoving her aside.

"Because nobody says 'no' to me!"

"Well, I guess I'm the first! Step aside, Raquel."

"No! She can never have you!" She sprayed me with a strange perfume bottle, which gave out a cloudy mist. I covered my mouth and rushed out into the hall, coughing furiously in effort to get the smoke out of my lungs. "Run all you want, James. You will get nowhere."

I could feel the world around me getting darker and darker. Spinning and spinning...faster...

"Yes, James. Breathe it in. Because once you do, you will be mine. It's a special formula I concocted especially for you. It has the power to cloud memories and past feelings and it will turn you over to me," she grinned. "Jessie is history."

"No...I refuse...to let you win..." I couldn't give in to her wishes so easily, could I? If I did, I wouldn't even remember Jess anymore. I would be forced to be with Raquel. Would Jess want that for me? Do I want that for me? No! I have to fight it! I refuse to be a failure again! I refuse to give in!

Darkness began to enclose me, but I bravely fought it. Light began to come into focus as I felt the mist slowly retreating from my body.

"What? You're not supposed to break out of my spell!" My vision became clearer and after all of that struggling, I broke out of Raquel's spell.

"Why, James? I thought you loved me," Raquel sobbed.

"I'm sorry, but I love Jessie."

"You tell her, James!" Meowth encouraged.

"Meowth! Where did you come from?"

"Don't matter now! We gotta rescue Team Rocket Headquarters!"

"No!" Raquel cried, lunging for us. Thinking quickly, I grabbed the perfume bottle she had squirted on me in her face. Her body immediately fell limp and I caught her before she hit the ground.

"Come on, James!"

"One minute." I carefully placed Raquel onto her bed. "Though I know you will never remember me or the heartache I caused you, I apologize. Farewell, Raquel." I gently kissed her cheek. She smiled contentedly and turned over.

"Maybe now she will be able to find her one true love," I smiled as I stepped back from her.

"At least she won't be chasing us any more. Now let's go. We got a teammate ta save."

* * * * * * *

"Are you sure you know where we're going, Meowth?" I hissed to my partner.

"Of course I'm sure. I went up and down dese halls every day after you left us. I know my way around dis joint. What's the matter? Don't you trust me?"

"I trust you, but not with directions. I would feel more comfortable if Jess was around."

"Well, she's not so you're gonna hafta learn ta get along witout her!"

I scowled, but continued quietly down the halls listening for any sounds that would bring me to Jessie.

"Meowth! I think I hear sometin!" Meowth reported.

"Where, Meowth? Is it Jessie?"

"No. Sometin worse."

"Who-or what- is it?"

"My stomach. When's dinner?" I sighed. Always the same Meowth.

"No time for that." My stomach grumbled in controversy. Meowth laughed.

"Your stomach don't agree wit dat!" he giggled. I laughed with him in spite of myself.

"Listen! You hear that?" a voice asked. I saw shadows from around the corner coming closer.

"Split up!" I ordered as we separated into two rooms. I quietly shut the door to my hiding place and I was shocked at what I saw. It was Ash and Brock lying limp against the wall. In their weak state, they couldn't even lift their heads up to look at me.

"Ash? Brock?" I gasped. I heard a groan form Ash's direction. "What happened?"

"Team Rocket...took Misty...needs help," Ash muttered.

"Misty's gone? Team Rocket did this to you? How?"

"Misty..." I whirled around and pulled at the handle. It wouldn't budge! We were locked inside! I bit my lip nervously. Giovanni had me trapped like a rat and he didn't even know it yet!

Suddenly I felt the handle twisting. I jumped backwards in shock. Well, if he didn't know before, he was going to find out now. There was nowhere for me to run or hide. I just stood there as stiff as a board hoping that maybe, if I didn't move, he wouldn't notice me.

The door squeaked open slowly and a shadowy figure stood in the doorway.

"Dese claws come in handy don't dey, James?" Meowth grinned.

"Meowth! What about...?" I gasped.

"Who? Da guards? It was a false alarm," Meowth smirked.

"Good. Now let's make our getaway!" I suggested.

"But what'll we do wit da two stiffs over dere?" Meowth nodded toward Ash and Brock.

"Hmm...Ash? Brock, can you move?" Nothing. "Ash? Brock?"

"I...can't," Ash replied.

"You can't give up! I came back because of what you told me about friendship."

"Actually, dat was da other twerp."

"Oh. Well, anyway, Ash, you have to help her."

"She doesn't need...me."

"All right. Fine. If you want to stay here and rot, go right ahead. Be my guest. If you don't care enough to save her...it's out of my hands. I'm going to get Jess and get out of here."

After taking one last glance back at them, I turned toward the door with Meowth.

"Wait," Ash whispered weakly. I peered at him over my shoulder curiously. "I'm...going."

"Are you sure you can?"

"I...don't care."

"Then if you're coming, let's go. We have to hurry. Who knows what Giovanni could do to them?" Ash placed a hand on the wall to steady himself then slowly got to his feet. I stretched out my hand to aid him. Ash took it gratefully.

"Thanks."

"I'm coming too," Brock responded.

"Hurry!" I yelled. Ash lifted Brock up and we all silently fled the small prison. Don't worry, Jess. I'm on my way.

"Listen for them, guys! They could be anywhere! Call out if you hear anything, but keep your voices down! The Boss' men could be lurking around every corner," I warned. All of them nodded in agreement. We tiptoed down the hall, our backs pressed against the wall trying as hard as possible to be silent.

"Don't talk back to me!" Giovanni screamed.

"Why should I respect you? Just because you belong to Team Rocket? Well, if there's one thing I've learned is that you can't hide behind Team Rocket all your life! You need to move on! This doesn't mean a thing!" a female snapped. She sounded...familiar.

"You're trying my patience. Just as James did. You don't want James' fate, do you, Jessie?" I felt as if I had heard this conversation before.

"As long as it gets me away from you!" Then a loud slap reached my ears and a body thumping against the floor. It...it was Jessie! How dare he...how dare he hit her!

"Jessie..." I fumed. My anger could no longer be contained and with clenched fists, I motioned toward the room. Brock held me back with a shaky arm.

"Don't...not yet. Wait," he said simply.

"I'm not going to just sit around and let her be abused like this!" I snapped. I shoved him aside roughly and stormed inside angrily. "Giovanni!" "James?" Jessie gasped.

"What?! How did you...?" Giovanni stuttered.

"James!" Misty cried with joy. Jessie rushed into my arms gratefully.

"James, how did you...?" Once she realized that we were in a tight embrace, she quickly pulled away.

"It's all right, Jessica. We're together now. I've missed you so much," I comforted.

"Y-you did?"

"Of course. Especially after this...I was afraid I might...lose you."

"You were?"

"Yes." She smiled and following a moment of slight hesitation, she leaped into my arms and squeezed me tightly. I winced in pain from the pressure on my bullet wound. She immediately released me and peered in concern at my injury.

"What happened? Who did this?" she demanded.

"I did," Giovanni answered. "With the help of my loyal members, of course." Jessie shot an enraged glare in his direction.

"You can't do that! You almost killed him!"

"Yes, that was a terrible misfortune. I was hoping he would've been dead before this morning." Giovanni grinned. "But since none of that worked out I'm

afraid I'll have to deal with it now."

Before either of us could react, Giovanni whipped out a pistol and fired a laser at me. Jessie shrieked out in fear. I fell to my knees and barely suppressed a scream.

I felt the laser depressing my energy level. It was sucking all of the life left in me...Jessie screamed once again then flung herself toward Giovanni. The laser gun flew out of his grip and in my weak state, I slumped onto the floor.

"James, are you all right?"

"I...I..." I muttered. The minute she saw my head fall against the ground, she turned her anger back to Giovanni.

"You jerk! Look what you've done!" she yelled as she knocked Giovanni onto the floor and proceeded to wrench the gun from him. He shoved Jessie aside and called into his intercom.

"Send in reinforcements!" Immediately after, Cassidy and Butch rushed in.

"Jessie and James, what a pleasant surprise," Cassidy grinned as she and Butch forced me to my feet. Unable to fight them, I let them take hold of me without any problem. Giovanni managed to get hold of my screaming partner. Misty just stood by helplessly.

"Should we dispose of him now, sir?" Butch asked.

"Yes. Now would be fine," Giovanni responded. I felt the cold barrel pressing against my body and waited silently for the horrible blast , but there was...nothing. Just...silence.

"Prepare for trouble!" Ash yelled.

"Make it double!" Brock added. Make it...double?

"Ash! Brock!" Misty cried happily.

"To protect the world from devastation!"

"To unite all peoples within our nation!"

"To protect the goodness of truth and love!"

"To extend our reach to the stars above!"

"Ash!"

"Brock!"

"Our team of friendship blasts off at the speed of light!"

"Surrender now or lose the fight!"

"Meowth! Dat's right!" Meowth shouted.

"Meowth? The...twerps...," I breathed in relief. Ash smiled at me.

"We're not letting you win without a fight!" Ash replied.

"I have already won. With this I can control the world," Giovanni said motioning toward his laser gun. "This can drain whatever and whoever of its energy and use it against them. And I owe it all to James."

"To me...what?" I questioned.

"Yes. When I sent you on your final mission to retrieve that pokeball, James. It had the directions to constructing this weapon. So I thank you, James," Giovanni smirked. I was a gullible fool to fall into Giovanni's plan. But maybe...I pondered quietly to myself...just maybe I could make up for past sins.

"Giovanni, you may have thought you won, but I refused to let it end like this. Whether I get out or not,...you will never win. Go,...Wheezing!" I cried weakly.

"Wheezing, go in a rapid spin and gust my friends out the window!" Wheezing spun around quicker and quicker until he was able to conjure up a strong wind and Jessie, Meowth, Ash, Misty, and Brock fought it vigorously.

"James, what are you doing?" Jessie demanded.

"Saving you," I muttered under my breath. "Go, Victreebell! Catch them with your vines as they fall!" Victreebell obeyed my commands and awaited them at the bottom of the 3-story building. Although Ash, Misty, and Brock tried bravely to hold on to the windowsill, but their fingers slipped away and they fell down to my grass pokemon.

"James!" they cried as they descended. Meowth and Jessie refused stubbornly to go down.

"Jessie, Meowth, this is for your own good. You're the best pals anyone could ever have."

"What are you babbling about, James? We ain't leaving you!" Meowth yelled.

"I'm afraid you must. Wheezing, push Jessie and Meowth out the window!" Wheezing charged toward them obediently.

"No, James!"

"James!" Jessie shrieked. Unable, to hold on any longer, they flew through the air and were caught mid-air by Victreebell's vines. Farewell, my friends. You have proven to me that you can be trusted and you do indeed care for me. It is I that have done wrong and I hope that this will once and for all make up for all of the pain I caused you. I turned back to my rivals.

"You know of course, James that you mistake will cost you your life," Cassidy responded.

"Just as long as you don't take the innocent lives of my friends as well. I got myself into this and I will triumph." Butch laughed.

"Ha! What can you do?" he cackled.

"Save my friends. Wheezing, go!"

"With that? Face it, James. It's over!"

"It's not over til' it's over!" I smirked. "Wheezing, self-destruct! And really make it a good one! Take down the entire building!"

"What?!" Giovanni gasped. Wheezing glowed a evil shade of yellow and began to gather its energy. Giovanni dashed madly toward the door and twisted it frantically. It was locked! "James, you will pay for this treachery!"

I've been paying for it ever since I joined this rotten group, but now I know that friends are what really counts in life and I refuse to waste any more time helping you!"

Suddenly without warning, Wheezing exploded and filled the whole room with flying debris. Huge chunks of steel and plaster smashed into our faces and the flames of the fire engulfed us all. As I slowly inhaled the fumes, I felt myself weakening to it, but...I felt peace knowing I had saved my friends. I had saved Jessie. I smiled at the thought, then crumpled onto the floor, unconscious.

* * * * * * *

"What does James tink he's doin'?" Meowth questioned frantically.

"I don't know, but whatever it is, it's stupid!" Jessie replied. Suddenly, the building went up in flames! "James!"

"What did he do? What is he tinkin?"

"He could get killed in there!" Ash observed.

"That's it!" Jessie resolved as she raced in the direction of Team Rocket Headquarters.

"No, Jess! Ya wanna go down wit him?" Meowth held her back.

"But...but..." Then the only entrance also was engulfed by the savage flames. The pieces of the Headquarters came crashing in their direction. "James!"

Meowth pushed Jess from the path of the large remains of the once majestic headquarters.

"Misty! Look out!" Ash yelled as he grabbed Misty by the waist and pulled her to safety. The 3-story building began to collapse as the 5 of them took cover wherever they found safety.

As the dust settled, each of the five remaining survivors, peered out from their hiding place.

"James! James, answer me now!" Jessie cried fearfully. Misty pulled out of Ash's strong arms and fled with Brock to the debris of the building.

"James? James?" she called. They all searched frantically through the rubble for any survivors.

"Look, it's Wheezing!" Misty yelled as she pulled the injured pokemon out carefully.

"Wheezing, do you know where James is?" Jess queried.

"Wheez," Wheezing shook his head.

"I think I found something!" Ash announced lifting off armloads of rocks and cement. Without a moment hesitation, Jessie rushed over and helped Ash.

"James, don't you dare let go! I'm coming so just hold on!" Jess ordered.

"Yeah! I need a scratching post!" Meowth gasped as he hoisted each rock off. Then they saw a limp hand lying among the wreckage. "Oh no..." Jessie madly raised the rock and steel as the rest stared in shock.

"I refuse to lose...," she grumbled. As she tossed the last rock aside, she spotted the motionless body buried there. "J-James."

"Help him out!" Meowth screamed. All of them picked up the bruised body from the remains and laid it on the cool grass.

"James, you have to wake up!" Misty shouted.

"You can't just give up!" Ash and Brock shouted. Jessie grabbed the collar of the shirt and shook the body furiously.

"Get up! Get up! Get up! You still owe me money!" Then after a few minutes went by and the motionless form on the ground remained silent, she loosened her grip and with a quiet sorrow filled voice she softly said, "Please." All of them lowered their heads in defeat.

"Hard to believe someone like James would do something so...nice. So...selfless," Misty sobbed.

"I miss him," Ash weeped.

"So do I," another voice cried. Each of them glanced at the other. Who said it...?

Jessie focused her gaze back toward my body and to her surprise saw me crying!

"James!" she cried with glee. Expecting her to embrace me, I started toward her with open arms, but she once again grabbed my collar. "You had me worried! How dare you leave me go through the humiliation of crying for you when you were alive all this time! And look at what you did to Team Rocket Headquarters! You could've been killed! This is your fault!" I winced from all of the blows Jess was sending in my direction.

She seemed to notice my wince of pain and she smiled. "But I'm glad you're okay," she hugged me tightly. "Thank you."

"Ouch!" was my response as I cringed from all of my many injuries.

"Oops," she apologized sheepishly as she quickly released me. "Let me help." She ripped off bits and pieces of her Team Rocket uniform and bandaged all of my bleeding wounds securely.

"And I'm so sorry, Jessie. I just..." She placed a finger to my lips.

"Shut up," she whispered. "And listen. I'm sorry."

"We're sorry," Meowth corrected.

"We shouldn't have blamed you for everything. It's just that...well, we didn't think you'd take it so personally and...I'm just sorry. I haven't been treating you the way I should."

"I misjudged you, James. Thanks," Ash apologized.

"I'll forgive you, but only this once. Twerp," I grinned. He smiled back.

"Some things never change..."

"All the time, I've known you, James, I never knew you could be so selfless. You saved all of us...thank you," Misty thanked as she wrapped her arms round' my neck gratefully. Ash frowned in disapproval. As Misty turned away from me, she caught Ash's glare. "Do you think I would forget you, Ash?"

"Huh?" Ash asked in shock. She smiled and leaned in closer and gave Ash a quick peck on the check. His cheeks blushed a deep crimson red. We all laughed. Then Jessie glanced back to me and she leaned toward me. I flinched slightly, but gave in to her warm lips.

"Meowth! Hey! Break it up!" Meowth cried playfully. We quickly pulled away after realizing the twerps and Meowth were present. Jess got to her feet.

"Come on, James. It's time the former Team Rocket blasted off again," Jessie replied. Same routine all over again. Was Jessie going back down the same road like she was before? Was our friendship going to be forgotten once again? She smiled and raised me from the rubble.

"We will always be there for you, James. I will always be your friend. You don't need to worry," she grinned. I looked in her blue eyes hoping to be able to find some truth in them. Then I realized that she was indeed telling the truth.

"I won't," I smiled. Things would be different from now on. No longer was I the loose end or the unwanted member. I was the trusted friend and I would always try my best to be there for them, as they would always be for me.

The End!  Email with comments!